Exoplanet Advanced Program
Choose your own exoplanet transit
(Currently only available to Canadian Classrooms)
Your student or students get to choose an exoplanet they want to image, watch as the telescope is programmed, and gather data unique to them (no one else in the world has it; it is yours and yours alone). They then analyze the data to discover whether or not their run captured an exoplanet transiting in front of its star!
This is the perfect virtual astronomy program. The entire data collection process is online and shown through Zoom, and students can use their own laptops to process the data. If you’re looking for ways to adapt hands-on lab-based learning in this new covid-restricted world, this is it!
This program is an intensive program, and is aimed at students completing independent studies, Extended Essays, end-of-year projects or science fair projects. The program is also available to clubs and advanced classes with students working in small groups.
- Engage in independent research similar to that at a university level
- Develop critical thinking, self-management and research skills
- Participate in and engage with the scientific process
- Develop communication skills with the opportunity to be published
- Option to explore interdisciplinary ties, including chemistry, art and math
- Find curriculum connections specific to your provincial curriculum here!
- Data acquisition form, to be filled out in preparation for imaging
- Project walk-through with step-by-step instructions and tutorials
- Individual time with staff members to advise your students